Many people feel all types of ways about being in front of a camera; nervous, self conscious, apprehensive, and some love it! Partnering with clients for 10 years has taught me that helping people to feel comfortable is how we allow their most confident and authentic self to come out in front of my lens.
I am very comfortable behind the camera so I challenge myself to get in front of the lens often because I will never ask my clients to be vulnerable in a way I am not willing to do. I make sure to get in front of the camera several times a year. Self portraiture has also taught me so much about posing, movement, and what works and what doesn’t (epic fails are always a great learning opportunity).
Please know your right now is beautiful and worthy of celebrating. We spend way too much time not showing up fully because comparison steals joy or we want to wait until we look a certain way. Right now is all we have- confidence starts with knowing your and in my experience surrounding yourself with friends who remind you of your value is so important! We all need a hype squad.
Whether you just want a fun new profile picture on your favorite social media app or whether you are utilizing online spaces to build a business or brand everyone needs updated images. Please do not be that person who has a head shot from 10 years ago on your profile- I’m kidding…but not really. It builds trust with your audience to have updated images that reflect how you actually look. Invest the time, money, and energy.
What helps create dynamic images that share our unique brand and personality? What have I learned?
Come along on a recent self portrait content session with me.
Whether you are just needing iphone pictures or have a tripod and a “real” camera these are some things to keep in mind. And of course I would be thrilled and excited to create Creative Portraits with YOU that help share your unique story! Let’s partner- hit me up here.
Either way I hope these tips will help you be more comfortable and confident in your images and love the result.
Your right now is messy & beautiful- celebrate you!
1.Find a location you love– If you are a business owner or entrepreneur having your brand colors and aesthetic is important. Are you a natural or holistic influencer? Choose a natural environment like a park or field with flowers. Are you a photog that loves rich and vibrant color (hello it me!) choose a more urban setting. Are you a real estate agent who wants to show you are approachable? Choose a front porch or home setting or a downtown of a community you love to serve.
2. Think through and choose a wardrobe you are comfortable in AND feel great in– bring a few easy outfits changes so your content and images won’t all look the same. This is also important if you are hoping to use the images on your socials or website because you want to have some varying looks. Layers are great because they also give you options to move and touch and even cover areas you might feel more insecure about- but again I am your hype woman to remind you embrace your right now body! Jackets, sweaters, blazers, button up shirts, ect are great options. Adding depth and texture to images is also fabulous. Even changing shoes and your jacket will give you a totally different look so think through and plan option and bring what you will feel confident in!
The white blazer above is a staple and looks great on everyone! Grab it on Amazon.
Need fun new pieces and don’t want to spurge? I use a rental service called Nuuly- you can use my link to get $20 off your first order. This fun red and pink jacket was a rental find and I love it! It is also a great way to get specific colors or trends without the commitment of buying new looks.
3. Set up a tripod & take tons of images and videos. I use a camera and tripod along with this inexpensive camera remote to make it easy. Using an interval timer feature on your camera or phone makes it easy too. There are so many options (asking a friend to help or hiring a photographer but you can do it yourself too with a tripod. I also love this cellphone mount that attaches to my hot shoe on my camera to gather video raw footage I can use for B-roll and content later. I take WAY more images than I need so I can choose my favorites to edit and share. This entire session took only 1 hour so you can get a ton done quickly.
4. Embrace that you will have fails and out takes!! Ahem- check out the above images. Massive fails are how you get to the ones you will love! Just laugh at yourself and keep trying and adjusting angles. Again just do not take yourself so seriously. I actually enjoy self portraits sessions now to try new things and experiment. It helps me be a better photographer and know how to pose my clients too.
5. Movement– This is honestly one of the most important tips I can give you. If it bends bend it. Try new positions. Creating angles with our bodies is flattering so experiment. If you are not sure what to do try creating a pinterest board of inspo for poses. Even small movements and adjustments will make a huge difference. Stand, sit, walk, dance, cross your arms. legs, etc. Switch it up and try new things to find flattering poses you like. You might feel dumb (I know I do especially on a busy street in Chicago when people are walking by but I know I will be so excited to have these images so I just go with it. And you might even get fun bystanders cheer you on like I did during this session!). Just don’t take yourself so seriously and have fun!
6. Create a playlist and listen to music during your session– it helps movement and vibe! I use playlists on so many of my sessions to loosen everyone up and cut some of the awkward tension. Choose songs that make you smile and that you can’t resist dancing to. Music you love helps you feel great and that will translate in your pictures as confidence.
I hope these tips are helpful on your next photo shoot whether that is with a photographer or just in your back yard with your phone. Confidence is not something your just arrive at- you have to take steps to feel confident and creating images of yourself it is a way to embrace your beautiful, messy right now!
I would love to hype you up on a Creative Portrait Session to elevate your website or brand or just to celebrate a milestone in your life and I am always cheering you on in life and business.
A visual storyteller that focuses on human emotion & connection. I help families, individuals, & couples to share their beautiful messy story.
I also partner with humanitarian, non-for-profit organizations, and NGOs share their stories with intention, dignity, & excellence, so they can have a greater impact on their communities.